S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Program in Cancer Biology (협동과정-종양생물학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_협동과정-종양생물학전공)
Matrix metalloproteinase-1 promoter polymorphism and epithelial ovarian cancer: does ethnicity matter?
- Ju, Woong; Kim, Jae Weon; Park, Noh-Hyun; Song, Yong-Sang; Kim, Seung-Cheol; Kang, Soon-Beom; Lee, Hyo-Pyo
- Issue Date
- J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2007 Apr;33(2):155-60.
- Asian Continental Ancestry Group/*genetics; Female; Gene Frequency; Genotype; Humans; Korea; Matrix Metalloproteinase 1/*genetics; Ovarian Neoplasms/*blood/*ethnology/mortality; Polymerase Chain Reaction; *Polymorphism, Single Nucleotide; Promoter Regions, Genetic/*genetics
- AIM: To estimate the relationship between matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-1 promoter -1607 bp polymorphism and the risk of epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC) in Korean women and to clarify the ethnic difference in genotype distribution of this polymorphism. METHODS: Single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) of MMP-1 promoter -1607 region in 133 EOC patients and 332 cancer-free patients were investigated. Then the associations of this polymorphism with EOC or its clinicopathological parameters were analyzed. In addition, genotype distributions of this polymorphism in Korean women were compared with those of other races by extracting data from the previously published literature. RESULTS: We found no relationship between MMP-1 promoter -1607 bp polymorphism and epithelial ovarian cancer in a Korean population. Furthermore, we found ethnicity-dependent differences in genotype distributions and allele frequencies by comparison with previous articles on this topic. We report significant ethnic differences in the genotype distributions and allele frequencies of the MMP-1 promoter -1607 bp polymorphism. CONCLUSION: Our results indicate that MMP-1-1607 bp polymorphism shows ethnic diversity, and that the hypothesis that this polymorphism is associated with epithelial ovarian cancer is not supported by this study in a Korean population. Moreover, this finding concurs with results obtained in white Americans and Europeans.
- 1341-8076 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.