S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Preventive Medicine (예방의학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_예방의학전공)
SULT1E1 genetic polymorphisms modified the association between phytoestrogen consumption and bone mineral density in healthy Korean women
- Lee, S. A.; Choi, J. Y.; Shin, C. S.; Hong, Y. C.; Chung, H.; Kang, D.
- Issue Date
- Springer Verlag
- Calcif Tissue Int. 2006 Sep;79(3):152-9. Epub 2006 Sep 11.
- Absorptiometry, Photon; Bone Density/drug effects/*genetics; Calcaneus/*physiology; *Diet; Female; Humans; Korea; Phytoestrogens/*pharmacology; Phytoestrogens/*pharmacology; *Polymorphism, Genetic; Radius/physiology; Sulfotransferases/*genetics
- Sulfotransferase 1E1 (SULT1E1) catalyze estrogen into sulfate conjugation and is involved in the metabolism of phytoestrogen. A community-based cross-sectional study was conducted on 397 Korean women, to evaluate the association between genetic polymorphisms of SULT1E1 and bone mineral density (BMD) and the combined effect of the genetic polymorphism and phytoestrogen intake for BMD in Korean women. BMDs of the distal radius and the calcaneus were measured by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry. Genotypes of SULT1E1 IVS1-447 C>A, IVS4-1653 T>C, and *959 G>A were determined by the 5'-nuclease assay (TaqMan). Phytoestrogen intake was estimated by a food-frequency questionnaire validated against multiple 24-hour recalls. Women with the SULT1E1 *959 GG genotype had a 4.5% lower BMD at the distal radius (P (trend )= 0.05) and a 7.9% lower BMD at the calcaneus compared to those with AA genotype (P (trend) < 0.01), whereas the SULT1E1 IVS1-447 CC genotype and IVS4-1653 TT genotype were not associated with BMD. There was no significant trend of BMD with the numbers of CTG-containing haplotypes, but calcaneal BMDs significantly differed between SULT1E1 CTA-CTA haplotype and CTG-CCA haplotype (P < 0.05). When stratified by SULT1E1 genotype, the correlation between phytoestrogen consumption and BMD at the calcaneus was noteworthy in women with SULT1E1 *959 GG genotype (r = 0.25, P = 0.01) or SULT1E1 IVS 4-1653 TT genotype (r = 0.15, P = 0.02). This trend remained significant only in postmenopausal women (r = 0.36, P = 0.01) after multiple testing was corrected by the false discovery rate method. In conclusion, the genetic polymorphism of SULT1E1 *959 G > A was associated with BMD at the distal radius and calcaneus, and the association between phytoestrogen consumption and calcaneal BMD might be modified by this genetic polymorphism.
- 0171-967X (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.