S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Psychiatry (정신과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_정신과학전공)
Gray matter volume reduction in obsessive-compulsive disorder with schizotypal personality trait
- Lee, Kyung Jin; Shin, Yong Wook; Wee, Hwee; Kim, Young Youn; Kwon, Jun Soo
- Issue Date
- Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2006 Aug 30;30(6):1146-9. Epub 2006 May 2.
- Adult; Brain/*pathology; Data Interpretation, Statistical; Female; Humans; Image Processing, Computer-Assisted; Magnetic Resonance Imaging; Male; Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder/complications/*pathology/psychology; Psychiatric Status Rating Scales; Schizotypal Personality Disorder/complications/*pathology/psychology
- OBJECTIVES: Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) with schizotypal personality trait (SPT) and OCD without SPT demonstrated differences in cognitive dysfunction and treatment response. This study aimed to investigate whether brain volume differs between OCD with SPT and OCD without SPT. METHODS: OCD with SPT (n=20), OCD without SPT (n=47), healthy comparison subjects (n=83) and schizophrenic patients (n=59) participated in this study. We assessed brain volume such as gray matter (GM), white matter (WM) and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) using magnetic resonance imaging. The imaging data sets were filtered using anisotropic diffusion methods to improve the signal to noise ratio. The semi-automated region-growing method was used to remove images of tissues exterior to the brain. The fuzzy C-means algorithm was used to segment the extracted brain images into gray matter, white matter and cerebrospinal fluid. RESULTS: OCD with SPT (p=0.048) and Schizophrenic patients (p<0.001) demonstrated a significant GM volume reduction compared to healthy controls. OCD without SPT revealed no significant GM volume reduction compared to healthy controls (p=0.504). CONCLUSION: This study suggests that OCD with SPT could be distinguished as a distinct subtype of OCD, based on observations of gray matter volume.
- 0278-5846 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.