S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Preventive Medicine (예방의학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_예방의학전공)
Genetic polymorphisms of selected DNA repair genes, estrogen and progesterone receptor status, and breast cancer risk
- Issue Date
- American Association for Cancer Research
- Clin Cancer Res. 2005 Jun 15;11(12):4620-6.
- Adaptor Proteins, Signal Transducing ; Adult ; Breast Neoplasms/genetics/metabolism/*pathology ; Carrier Proteins ; Case-Control Studies ; DNA Repair/*genetics ; DNA-Binding Proteins/genetics ; Endonucleases/genetics ; Female ; Genotype ; Humans ; Immunohistochemistry ; Middle Aged ; Neoplasm Proteins/genetics ; Nuclear Proteins/genetics ; Rad52 DNA Repair and Recombination Protein ; Receptors, Estrogen/*analysis ; Receptors, Progesterone/*analysis ; Risk Factors ; Spectrometry, Mass, Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption-Ionization ; Polymorphism, Genetic
- PURPOSE: Genetic polymorphisms of DNA repair genes seem to determine the DNA repair capacity, which in turn may affect the risk of breast cancer. To evaluate the role of genetic polymorphisms of DNA repair genes in breast cancer, we conducted a hospital-based case-control study of Korean women. EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN: We included 872 incident breast cancer cases and 671 controls recruited from several teaching hospitals in Seoul from 1995 to 2002. Twelve loci of selected DNA repair genes were genotyped by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry (XRCC2 Arg188His, XRCC4 921G > T, XRCC6 1796G > T, LIG4 1977T/C, RAD51 135G > C, 172G > T, RAD52 2259C > T, LIG1 551A > C, ERCC1 8092A > C, 354C > T, hMLH1 -93G > A, and Ile219Val). RESULTS: We found that the RAD52 2259 CT or TT, hMLH1 -93 GG, and ERCC1 8092 AA genotypes were associated with breast cancer risk after adjustment for known risk factors [odds ratio (OR), 1.33; 95% confidence interval (95% CI), 1.02-1.75; OR, 1.31; 95% CI, 0.99-1.74; and OR, 0.58; 95% CI, 0.38-0.89, respectively]. When Bonferroni's method was used to correct for multiple comparisons for nine polymorphisms with P = 0.005, all of these associations were not significant. However, the effects of RAD52 2259 CT or TT and ERCC1 354 CT or TT genotypes were more evident for the estrogen/progesterone receptor-negative cases (OR, 2.03; 95% CI, 1.24-3.34 and OR, 1.99; 95% CI, 1.35-2.94, respectively). CONCLUSION: Our findings suggest that genetic polymorphisms of RAD52, ERCC1, and hMLH1 may be associated with breast cancer risk in Korean women.
- 1078-0432 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.