S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Pediatrics (소아과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_소아과학전공)
Early engraftment kinetics of two units cord blood transplantation
- Kang, H J; Kho, S H; Jang, M K; Lee, S H; Shin, H Y; Ahn, H S
- Issue Date
- Nature Publishing Group
- Bone Marrow Transplant. 2006 Aug;38(3):197-201. Epub 2006 Jun 19.
- Acute Disease; Adolescent; Anemia, Aplastic/pathology/*therapy; Child; Cord Blood Stem Cell Transplantation/*methods; Female; Graft Survival/*physiology; Humans; Leukemia/pathology/*therapy; Male; Transplantation Conditioning/methods
- Cord blood transplantation (CBT) is a promising alternative means of allogeneic stem cell transplantation. However, limited cell doses may compromise outcome. To enhance engraftment, CBT has been conducted using two units with promising results. However, little is known about the mechanism of engraftment. Here, we analyzed the early engraftment kinetics of eight patients given two unit umbilical CBT. Early engraftment kinetics revealed dominancy of one of two units from the day of engraftment (absolute neutrophil count > 0.5 x 10(9)/l). The median value of percentage of the predominant unit by chimerism analysis at the time of engraftment was 88% (60-100%). Two units CBT was found to be a safe, effective and promising alternative treatment option with good engraftment potential. Dominancy occurred early after CBT and is probably influenced by multiple factors.
- 0268-3369 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.