S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Thoracic Surgery (흉부외과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_흉부외과학전공)
Long-term experience with the Bjork-Shiley Monostrut tilting disc valve
- Ahn, Hyuk; Kim, Kyung Hwan; Kim, Dong Jin; Jeong, Dong Seop
- Issue Date
- Korean Academy of Medical Science
- J Korean Med Sci. 2007 Dec;22(6):1060-4.
- Adolescent; Adult; Anticoagulants/adverse effects; Child; Endocarditis/etiology; Female; *Heart Valve Prosthesis/adverse effects; Humans; Male; Middle Aged; Prosthesis Failure; Survival Rate; Thromboembolism/etiology
- The Bjork-Shiley Monostrut valve is tilting disc mechanical valve prosthesis. This study was designed to present the long-term outcome of our experience. One hundred and thirty-seven Bjork-Shiley Monostrut valves were implanted in 101 consecutive patients from November 1983 to February 1990. There were 60 male and 41 female with mean age of 34.5 yr at the time of operation. Fifty-nine patients underwent single valve replacement, 38 had double valve, and 4 had triple valve replacement. There were six in-hospital deaths (5.9%): three from cardiopulmonary bypass weaning failure and one each from septic shock, sudden cardiac arrest, and uncontrollable bleeding. Mean duration of follow-up was 181.2+/-76.2 months. Overall survival was 86.2% at 15 yr and 83.1% at 20 yr. Patients with mitral valve replacement had 93.5% and 90.2% cumulative survival at 10 and 15 yr, respectively, while patients with aortic valve replacement had 91.1% and 86.5% cumulative survival at 10 and 15 yr. Two groups had no significant difference in survival. Double valve replacement patients had 92.2% and 84.0% survival at 10 and 15 yr, respectively. There were no significant differences in survival between the single and double valve replacement groups. Freedom from thromboembolism was noted in: 97.8%, 97.8%, 96.4% and 87.8% at 5, 10, 15 and 20 yr, respectively. Absence of endocarditis was noted in 98.6% and 94.8% at 15 and 20 yr. Absence of reoperation was 92.5% at 20 yr. In conclusion, the Bjork-Shiley Monostrut valve is reliable, with a similar incidence of valve-related morbidity as in other mechanical valves.
- 1011-8934 (Print)