S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Polymorphisms of KCNJ11 (Kir6.2 gene) are associated with Type 2 diabetes and hypertension in the Korean population
- Koo, B K; Cho, Y M; Park, B L; Cheong, H S; Shin, H D; Jang, H C; Kim, S Y; Lee, H K; Park, K S
- Issue Date
- Diabet Med. 2007 Feb;24(2):178-86.
- Aged; Diabetes Mellitus, Type 2/*genetics; Diabetic Angiopathies/*genetics; Female; Humans; Hypertension/*genetics; Korea/epidemiology; Male; Middle Aged; Polymorphism, Genetic/*genetics; Potassium Channels, Inwardly Rectifying; Risk Factors
- AIMS: Kir6.2 is found in the pancreatic B-cell, cardiac and skeletal muscle and non-vascular smooth muscle. KCNJ11, encoding Kir6.2, has been shown to be associated with both Type 2 diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular disease in several populations. In this study, we investigated whether polymorphisms in KCNJ11 are associated with Type 2 diabetes and other metabolic phenotypes in the Korean population. METHODS: We sequenced KCNJ11 to identify common polymorphisms using 24 Korean DNA samples. Of the 14 polymorphisms found in KCNJ11, six common ones [genomic sequence (g.)-1709A>T, g.-1525T>C, g.67G>A (E23K), g.570C>T (A190A), g.1009A>G (I337V), and g.1388C>T] were genotyped in 761 Type 2 diabetic patients and in 630 non-diabetic subjects. RESULTS: All the polymorphic loci in KCNJ11 are in strong linkage disequilibrium in the Korean population and act as one haplotype block. g.67G>A and g.1009A>G were associated with an increased risk of Type 2 diabetes [age, sex, and body mass index (BMI)-adjusted odds ratios (OR) = 1.376 (1.085-1.745), P = 0.008 and 1.411 (1.111-1.791), P = 0.005, respectively], as was one haplotype (A-T-A-C-G-C in the order of polymorphisms as shown above) containing g.67A and g.1009G [OR = 1.359 (1.080-1.709), P = 0.009]. The haplotype (A-T-A-C-G-C) was also strongly associated with hypertension [OR = 1.655 (1.288-2.126), P < 0.001]. CONCLUSIONS: Polymorphisms in KCNJ11 are associated with Type 2 diabetes and also with hypertension in the Korean population.
- 0742-3071 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.