S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Pediatrics (소아과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_소아과학전공)
Arsenic trioxide inhibits cell growth in SH-SY5Y and SK-N-AS neuroblastoma cell lines by a different mechanism
- Woo, So-Youn; Lee, Mi-Young; Jung, Yun-Jae; Yoo, Eun-Sun; Seoh, Ju-Young; Shin, Hee-Young; Ahn, Hyo-Seop; Ryu, Kyung-Ha
- Issue Date
- Taylor & Francis
- Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2006 Apr-May;23(3):231-43.
- Antineoplastic Agents/*pharmacology; Apoptosis/*drug effects; Arsenicals/*pharmacology; CDC2 Protein Kinase/biosynthesis/genetics; Caspase 3; Caspases/; metabolism; Cell Cycle/*drug effects; Cell Line, Tumor/drug effects; Cyclin-Dependent Kinase Inhibitor p27/biosynthesis/genetics; Cyclin-Dependent Kinases/biosynthesis/genetics; Cyclins/biosynthesis/genetics; Dose-Response Relationship, Drug; Enzyme Activation/drug effects; G2 Phase/drug effects; Gene Expression Regulation/*drug effects; HL-60 Cells/drug effects; Humans; Metaphase/drug effects; NF-kappa B/*metabolism; Neoplasm Proteins/biosynthesis/genetics; Neuroblastoma/*pathology; Oxidative Stress; Oxides/*pharmacology; Poly(ADP-ribose) Polymerases/metabolism; Proto-Oncogene Proteins c-bcl-2/metabolism; S Phase/drug effects
- Neuroblastoma, characterized by heterogeneous cell population, is a common solid tumor in childhood and some malignant neuroblastomas are refractory to conventional chemotherapy. Recently, treatment with arsenic trioxide (As2O3) was found effective in the treatment of acute promyelocytic leukemia as well as neuroblastoma cells by inducing apoptosis. To define the mechanism contributing to cell death in those heterogenous cell populations, the authors used two different types of neuroblastoma cells, SH-SY5Y and SK-N-AS, to compare the pathways that mediate death response to arsenic trioxide. With arsenic trioxide exposure, both cell lines were arrested at the S-G2/M phase with the increase of cyclin B expression and CDK1 activity. Although caspase 3 was activated in both cell lines, the NF-kappaB activity and the expression of cyclin D1, cyclin E, and p27 were different. Therefore, arsenic trioxide could be an effective cytotoxic drug for the treatment of heterogeneous cellular population of neuroblastoma.
- 1521-0669 (Electronic)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.