S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Nuclear Medicine (핵의학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_핵의학전공)
Modafinil-induced hippocampal activation in narcolepsy
- Kim, Yu Kyeong; Yoon, In-Young; Shin, Yoon-Kyung; Cho, Sang Soo; Kim, Sang Eun
- Issue Date
- Neuroscience Letters 422 (2007) 91-96
- Narcolepsy; Modafinil; Benzhydryl Compounds/*pharmacology/therapeutic use; Brain Mapping; Brain Stem/drug effects/metabolism/radionuclide imaging; Central Nervous System Stimulants/*pharmacology/therapeutic use; Energy Metabolism/drug effects; Fluorodeoxyglucose F18/diagnostic use; Functional Laterality/drug effects; Glucose/metabolism; Hippocampus; Hypothalamus/drug effects/metabolism/radionuclide imaging; F-18 FDG PET; Narcolepsy/*drug therapy/*physiopathology/radionuclide imaging; Neural Pathways/drug effects/metabolism/radionuclide imaging; Positron-Emission Tomography; Sleep; Thalamus/drug effects/metabolism/radionuclide imaging; Treatment Outcome; Wakefulness
- This study was undertaken to investigate regional metabolic abnormalities and to determine the effects of modafinil in narcoleptics on cerebral glucose metabolism using [(18)F] fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography (FDG PET). Eight narcoleptic patients participated in the study. Two [(18)F] FDG PET scans were obtained before and after 2 weeks of modafinil treatment. To identify the effect of modafinil on regional cerebral abnormalities in narcoleptics, pre- and post-treatment PET scans were compared using paired t-statistics with voxel-wised manner. In narcolepsy patients, significant decreases in cerebral glucose metabolism were observed in the midbrain and upper pons, bilateral hypothalamus, posterior thalamus, hippocampus and right parahippocampus as compared with healthy subjects. After treatment, a significant increase in glucose metabolism in the left hippocampus was found in comparison with pre-treatment scan. This study demonstrated that modafinil activates the hippocampus which receives the afferents from hypothalamus, the center of sleep-wake rhythm.
- 0304-3940 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.