S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Parasitology and Tropical Medicine (기생충학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_기생충학전공)
Parvatrema chaii n. sp. (Digenea: Gymnophallidae) from mice experimentally infected with metacercariae collected from surf-clam, Mactra veneriformis
- Sohn, Woon-Mok; Na, Byoung-Kuk; Ryang, Yong-Sum; Ching, Hulda Lei; Lee, Soon-Hyung
- Issue Date
- Korean Society for Parasitology
- Korean J Parasitol. 2007 Jun;45(2):115-20.
- Animals; Bivalvia/*parasitology; Disease Models, Animal; Mice; Microscopy, Electron, Scanning; Trematoda/anatomy & histology/*classification/*isolation &; purification/ultrastructure; Trematode Infections/*parasitology
- Parvatrema chaii n. sp. (Digenea: Gymnophallidae) is described using the worms recovered from experimentally infected mice in Korea. The metacercariae were collected from surf-clams, Mactra veneriformis, from a tidal flat in Sochon-gun, Chungchongnam-do. The metacercariae were elliptical (0.262 x 0.132 mm), and the genital pore had an anterior arch of 16-17 sensory papillae in scanning electron microscopic view. Adult worms were ovoid to foliate (0.275-0.303 by 0.140-0.150 mm), and their characteristic features included the presence of lateral lips, short esophagus, genital pore located some distance anterior to the ventral sucker, club-shaped seminal vesicle, a compact to slightly lobed vitellarium, elliptical eggs (0.018-0.020 by 0.010-0.013 mm), and absence of the ventral pit. This gymnophallid is classified as a member of the genus Parvatrema because of the location of the wide genital pore some distance from the ventral sucker, and the absence of the ventral pit. It differs from previously reported Parvatrema species, including the type species, P. borinquenae. In particular, the morphologies of the vitellarium and the genital pore with an anterior arch of 16-17 sensory papillae are unique features. Therefore, we propose it as a new species, Parvatrema chaii n. sp. (Digenea: Gymnophallidae).
- 0023-4001 (Print)