S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Program in Cancer Biology (협동과정-종양생물학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_협동과정-종양생물학전공)
Functional variant of manganese superoxide dismutase (SOD2 V16A) polymorphism is associated with prostate cancer risk in the prostate, lung, colorectal, and ovarian cancer study
- Issue Date
- American Association for Cancer Research
- Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007 Aug;16(8):1581-6. Epub 2007 Jul 23.
- Aged ; Alanine/genetics ; Alleles ; Antioxidants/administration & dosage ; Case-Control Studies ; Diet ; European Continental Ancestry Group/genetics ; Exons/genetics ; Genetic Variation/*genetics ; Humans ; Isoenzymes/genetics ; Male ; Middle Aged ; Polymorphism, Genetic/*genetics ; Prostatic Neoplasms/*enzymology/genetics ; Risk Factors ; Smoking/adverse effects ; Superoxide Dismutase/*genetics ; Valine/genetics ; Vitamin E/administration & dosage ; Free Radical Scavengers
- Superoxide dismutase (SOD) plays a key role in the detoxification of superoxide free radicals. We evaluated the association of prostate cancer with genetic polymorphisms in SOD1 (CuZn-SOD; IVS3-251A>G), SOD2 [MnSOD; Ex2+24T>C (V16A)], and SOD3 (EC-SOD; IVS1+186C>T, Ex3-631C>G, Ex3-516C>T, and Ex3-489C>T), the three main isoforms of SOD. Prostate cancer cases (n = 1,320) from the screening arm of the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial were frequency matched to nondiseased controls (n = 1,842) by age, race, time since initial screening, and year of blood draw. Conditional logistic regression was used to estimate odds ratios (OR) and 95% confidence intervals (95% CI); stratified analysis by the level of antioxidative vitamins was also conducted. The higher activity Ala variant at SOD2 Ex2+24T>C (V16A), which has been hypothesized to suppress prostate carcinogenesis, was associated with elevation of prostate cancer risk in Caucasians (Val/Ala versus Val/Val: OR, 1.17; 95% CI, 0.97-1.42; Ala/Ala versus Val/Val: OR, 1.28; 95% CI, 1.03-1.60; P(trend) = 0.03). Stratification by quartiles of dietary and supplemental vitamin E intake (IU/d) showed risks of prostate cancer tended to be increased among SOD2 Ala allele carriers, except at the highest quartile of vitamin E intake (>222; P(interaction) = 0.06, Q1-Q3 versus Q4). The association between Ala allele and prostate cancer risk among those with lower intake of vitamin E (
- 1055-9965 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.