S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Dept. of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology (생화학교실) Journal Papers (저널논문_생화학교실)
The genome sequence of the ethanologenic bacterium Zymomonas mobilis ZM4
- Seo, Jeong-Sun; Chong, Hyonyong; Park, Hyun Seok; Yoon, Kyoung-Oh; Jung, Cholhee; Kim, Jae Joon; Hong, Jin Han; Kim, Hyungtae; Kim, Jeong-Hyun; Kil, Joon-Il; Park, Cheol Ju; Oh, Hyun-Myung; Lee, Jung-Soon; Jin, Su-Jung; Um, Hye-Won; Lee, Hee-Jong; Oh, Soo-Jin; Kim, Jae Young; Kang, Hyung Lynn`; Lee, Se Yong; Lee, Kye Joon; Kang, Hyen Sam
- Issue Date
- Nature Publishing Group
- Nat Biotechnol. 2005 Jan;23(1):63-8. Epub 2004 Dec 12.
- Biological Transport; DNA/chemistry; Ethanol/chemistry/metabolism; Genome; *Genome, Bacterial; Ketoglutarate Dehydrogenase Complex/metabolism; Malate Dehydrogenase/metabolism; Models, Biological; Molecular Sequence Data; Multigene Family; Oligonucleotide Array Sequence Analysis; Open Reading Frames; Oxidative Stress; Plasmids/metabolism; RNA/chemistry; Sequence Analysis, DNA; Transcription, Genetic; Tricarboxylic Acids/metabolism; Zymomonas/*genetics
- We report the complete genome sequence of Zymomonas mobilis ZM4 (ATCC31821), an ethanologenic microorganism of interest for the production of fuel ethanol. The genome consists of 2,056,416 base pairs forming a circular chromosome with 1,998 open reading frames (ORFs) and three ribosomal RNA transcription units. The genome lacks recognizable genes for 6-phosphofructokinase, an essential enzyme in the Embden-Meyerhof-Parnas pathway, and for two enzymes in the tricarboxylic acid cycle, the 2-oxoglutarate dehydrogenase complex and malate dehydrogenase, so glucose can be metabolized only by the Entner-Doudoroff pathway. Whole genome microarrays were used for genomic comparisons with the Z. mobilis type strain ZM1 (ATCC10988) revealing that 54 ORFs predicted to encode for transport and secretory proteins, transcriptional regulators and oxidoreductase in the ZM4 strain were absent from ZM1. Most of these ORFs were also found to be actively transcribed in association with ethanol production by ZM4.
- 1087-0156 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.