S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Ophthalmology (안과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_안과학전공)
Short-term effect of intracameral triamcinolone acetonide on corneal endothelium using the rabbit model
- Oh, J Y; Wee, W R; Lee, J H; Kim, M K
- Issue Date
- Nature Publishing Group
- Eye. 2007 Jun;21(6):812-8. Epub 2006 Jun 2.
- Animals; Anti-Inflammatory Agents/*toxicity; Cell Count; Cell Death/drug effects; Cornea/pathology; Endothelium, Corneal/*drug effects/*ultrastructure; Glucocorticoids/*toxicity; Microscopy, Electron, Scanning; Microvilli/drug effects/ultrastructure; Models, Animal; Rabbits; Triamcinolone Acetonide/*toxicity
- PURPOSE: To investigate the effect of intracameral injection of triamcinolone acetonide on the corneal endothelium in rabbit eyes. METHODS: Triamcinolone acetonide (40 mg/ml, 0.2 cm3) after filtering and resuspension in balanced salt solution (BSS) was injected intracamerally for 3 min into 10 rabbit eyes and irrigated with 5 cm(3) of BSS. Triamcinolone without resuspension and BSS were injected, respectively, into five rabbit eyes. Endothelial toxicity was evaluated and compared by measurements of endothelial cell counts and central corneal thickness. The endothelial viability was determined using vital staining with alizarin red and trypan blue at 2 h after injection. The scanning electron microscopy (SEM) was performed in one cornea from each group. RESULTS: Endothelial cell counts and central corneal thickness following intracameral injection of triamcinolone acetonide did not significantly change when compared to controls. The mean percentage of viable endothelial cells was 99.50, 99.52, and 99.49% in the resuspended triamcinolone group, triamcinolone without resuspension group, and BSS group, respectively (P=0.46, Kruskall-Wallis test). But SEM showed reduced microvilli of endothelial surface in an eye of the triamcinolone without resuspension group. CONCLUSIONS: The intracameral injection of triamcinolone acetonide did not induce a significant visible change of endothelium in rabbit eyes. However, ultrastructural villi changes observed suggest a possibility of microstructural damages in endothelium with triamcinolone acetonide injection when used without filtering and resuspension.
- 0950-222X (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.