S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Pathology (병리학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_병리학전공)
Myotonic Dystrophy Mimicking Postpolio Syndrome in a Polio Survivor
Cited 0 time in Web of Science Cited 2 time in Scopus
- Issue Date
- Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins
- Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2009;88:161-4
- Postpolio Syndrome ; Myotonic Dystrophy ; Differential Diagnosis
- We describe a 38-yr-old polio survivor with newly developed weakness from myotonic dystrophy. He suffered muscle atrophy and weakness in his legs as a result of poliomyelitis at the age of 3 yrs. After a stable interval of about 30 yrs, he felt new weakness and fatigue in his legs. Electromyography revealed generalized myotonic discharges, early recruitment, and findings of chronic denervation in his left leg. Genetic testing was consistent with myotonic dystrophy type 1. A biopsy from the right gastrocnemius revealed findings of both myotonic dystrophy and chronic denervation. This case report shows the importance of considering other uncommon conditions in the differential diagnoses of postpolio syndrome.
- 0894-9115 (print)
- Files in This Item:
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원)Pathology (병리학전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_병리학전공)
Items in S-Space are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.