S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Lung function response to 12-week treatment with combined inhalation of long-acting beta2 agonist and glucocorticoid according to ADRB2 polymorphism in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Kim, Woo Jin; Oh, Yeon-Mok; Sung, Joohon; Kim, Tae-Hyung; Huh, Jin Won; Jung, Hoon; Lee, Ji-Hyun; Kim, Eun-Kyung; Lee, Jin Hwa; Lee, Sang-Min; Lee, Sangyeub; Lim, Seong Yong; Shin, Tae Rim; Yoon, Ho Il; Kwon, Sung-Youn; Lee, Sang Do
- Issue Date
- Springer Verlag
- Lung. 2008 Nov-Dec;186(6):381-6. Epub 2008 Aug 29.
- Administration, Inhalation; Aged; Albuterol/administration & dosage/*analogs & derivatives/therapeutic use; Analysis of Variance; Androstadienes/administration & dosage/*therapeutic use; Bronchodilator Agents/administration & dosage/*pharmacology; Cohort Studies; Female; Genotype; Glucocorticoids/administration & dosage/*pharmacology; Humans; Korea; Lung/drug effects/physiopathology; Male; Middle Aged; Pharmacogenetics; Polymerase Chain Reaction; Polymorphism, Genetic; Pulmonary Disease, Chronic Obstructive/*drug; therapy/genetics/physiopathology; Receptors, Adrenergic, beta-2/*genetics; Respiratory Function Tests; Spirometry
- Recent reports suggest that beta(2)-adrenergic receptor (ADRB2) genotypes are associated with therapeutic responses to beta(2) agonists in asthmatics. However, few studies have investigated therapeutic responses to beta(2) agonists in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) patients. This study investigated immediate bronchodilator response and lung function responses following a 12-week treatment with a long-acting beta(2) agonist combined with a steroid inhaler in patients with COPD with various ADRB2 genotypes. One hundred four patients with chronic obstruction were genotyped for codon 16 and 27 polymorphisms of the ADRB2 gene. The immediate bronchodilator response to beta(2)-agonist treatment was evaluated after inhalation of 400 microg salbutamol. In addition, long-term response was evaluated using observed change in spirometric values before and after the treatment with salmeterol (50 microg) combined with fluticasone propionate (500 microg) inhalation twice daily for 12 weeks. In terms of codon 16 variants, the immediate bronchodilator response to salbutamol was 6.4 +/- 0.8% (% predicted value) in Arg/Arg patients, 4.9 +/- 0.7% in Arg/Gly patients, and 5.8 +/- 1.2% in Gly/Gly patients (p = 0.418). The FEV(1) changes following the 12-week treatment were 7.0 +/- 1.2% in Arg/Arg patients, 3.0 +/- 1.5% in Arg/Gly patients, and 7.2 +/- 1.2% in Gly/Gly patients (p = 0.229). Similarly, there was no difference between codon 27 variants in terms of immediate bronchodilator response or FEV1 changes after 12 weeks of treatment. We were unable to demonstrate an association between ADRB2 genotype and the effect on lung function of 12-week treatment with combined long-acting beta(2) agonist and glucocorticoid inhalation or on the immediate bronchodilator response to a short-acting beta(2) agonist in patients with COPD.
- 0341-2040 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.