S-Space College of Business Administration/Business School (경영대학/대학원) Dept. of Business Administration (경영학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_경영학과)
Group composition and employee creative behaviour in a Korean electronics company: Distinct effects of relational demography and group diversity.
- Issue Date
- British Psychological Society
- Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 80, 213-234
- TEAMS in the workplace ; CREATIVE ability in business ; DIVERSITY in the workplace ; WORK environment ; EMPLOYEE competitive behavior ; DEMOGRAPHY
- Work group composition is one of the key variables that influence individual behaviour in a group setting. This study investigates the effect of individual-level dissimilarities (relational demography) as well as group-level membership heterogeneity (group diversity) on creative behaviour of individual employees. Multi-level analyses of data from 188 work units of a Korean electronics company showed that relational demography in terms of gender and hierarchical status and group diversity in hierarchical status and performance level were negatively related to employee creative behaviour. In contrast, relational demography in terms of age and performance level and group diversity in functional background increased creative behaviour. The results indicate that demographic composition variables have different individual- and cross-level effects on individual employees' creative behaviour. This study demonstrates the need for a multi-level approach to the study of organizational demography.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.