S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Mechanical Aerospace Engineering (기계항공공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_기계항공공학부)
Improved Computational Efficiency of Unsteady Flow Problems via the Modified Wavelet Method
- Kang, Hyung Min; Lee, Dong Ho; Kim, Kyu Hong; Lee, Do Hyung
- Issue Date
- AIAA Journal, vol.46, no.5, pp.1191-1203
- Numerical stability; Computation time; Digital simulation; Modeling; Computational fluid dynamics; Wavelet transforms; Adaptive method; Interactions; Finite volume methods; Vortices; Shock waves; Unsteady flow
- A newly modified adaptive wavelet method is proposed to enhance the computational efficiency and to maintain a level of accuracy in unsteady flow calculations that is similar to the conventional schemes. The slim and compressed data set is well adapted to the local features of a solution, and fluxes are only calculated according to this adaptive data set, which results in shorter total computation time. While retaining this advantage, the following methods are applied to the wavelet method. First, residual interpolation is applied and entire residual values are calculated before time integration, and it is therefore not necessary to add several cells to a data set, which were definitely necessary in previous wavelet methods. Second, the threshold value is modified to consider the temporal accuracy as well as the spatial accuracy of the conventional schemes. This modification ensures that the errors caused by the thresholding method do not damage the numerical accuracy of the conventional schemes. The modified wavelet method is successfully applied to the unsteady flow problems and compared with the results of the conventional solvers. In consequence, computing efficiency is enhanced without the deterioration of the solution accuracy.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.