S-Space College of Dentistry/School of Dentistry (치과대학/치의학대학원) Dept. of Dentistry (치의학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_치의학과)
Platelet-derived growth factor releasing chitosan sponges for periodontal bone regeneration
- Lee, Yong Moo; Park, Yoon Jeong; Park, Si Nae; Sheen, Seung Yoon; Chung, Chong Pyoung; Lee, Seung Jin
- Issue Date
- Biomaterials 2000;21:153-159.
- Chitosan sponge; Periodontal bone regeneration; Platelet-derived growth factor-BB; Controlled release
- With an aim of improving bone regeneration, chitosan sponge containing platelet-derived growth factor-BB (PDGF-BB) were developed. For fabrication of chitosan sponge, chitosan solution was freeze-dried, crosslinked and freeze-dried again. PDGF-BB was incorporated into the chitosan sponge by soaking chitosan sponge into the PDGF-BB solution. Release kinetics of PDGF-BB, cell attachment, proliferation capacity and bony regenerative potentials of PDGF-BB-loaded chitosan sponge were investigated. Prepared chitosan sponge retained porous structure with 100 μm pore diameter that was suitable for cellular migration and growth. Release rate of PDGF-BB could be controlled by varying initial loading content of PDGF-BB to obtain optimal therapeutic efficacy. PDGF-BB-loaded chitosan sponge induced significantly high cell attachment and proliferation level, which indicated good cellular adaptability. PDGF-BB-loaded chitosan sponge demonstrated marked increase in new bone formation and rapid calcification. Degradation of the chitosan sponge was proceeded at defect site and subsequently replaced with new bone. Histomorphometric analysis confirmed that PDGF-BB-loaded chitosan sponge significantly induced new bone formation. These results suggested that chitosan sponge and PDGF-BB-loaded chitosan sponge may be beneficial to enhance periodontal bone regeneration.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.