S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering (컴퓨터공학부) Others_컴퓨터공학부
Design and optimization of a java ahead-of-time compiler for embedded systems
- Jung, Dong-Heon; Moon, Soo-Mook; Bae, SungHwan
- Issue Date
- IEEE Computer Society
- Dong-Heon Jung, Soo-Mook Moon, Sung-Hwan Bae, "Design and Optimization of a Java Ahead-of-Time Compiler for Embedded Systems," euc, vol. 1, pp.169-175, 2008 IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Embedded and Ubiquitous Computing, 2008
- Java Ahead-of-time Compiler; Bytecode-to-C; Embedded Systems; Java Virtual Machine; Code Optimizations
- Most embedded Java software platforms include a Java middleware installed on the client device. It can be optimized using the ahead-of-time compiler (AOTC), which translates the Java bytecode into the machine code before runtime. There are many approaches to AOTC, but a bytecode-to-C AOTC which translates the bytecode into C code and then compile it using an existing optimizing compiler such as gcc would be a practical one. This paper explores a few important design and optimization issues of a bytecode-to-C AOTC, including the compilation strategy for the translated C code, the call interfaces between Java methods, and Java-specific optimizations by the AOTC that can complement the gcc optimizations. We evaluate these issues with a bytecode-to-C AOTC to understand their performance impact.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.