S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Surgery (외과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_외과학전공)
Prolongation of the period between biopsy and EMR can influence the nonlifting sign in endoscopically resectable colorectal cancers
- Han, Kyung Su; Sohn, Dae Kyung; Choi, Dong Hyun; Hong, Chang Won; Chang, Hee Jin; Lim, Seok-Byung; Choi, Hyo Seong; Jeong, Seung-Yong; Park, Jae-Gahb
- Issue Date
- Gastrointest Endosc 2008;67(1):97-102
- Colorectal Neoplasms/*pathology/*surgery; *Endoscopy, Gastrointestinal/contraindications; Middle Aged; Multivariate Analysis; Neoplasm Invasiveness; Time Factors
- BACKGROUND: The nonlifting sign is widely used for evaluating the invasion depth of colorectal tumors, and it is commonly accepted that EMR is contraindicated for colorectal tumors with a nonlifting sign because of the probability of massive submucosal invasion. OBJECTIVE: To identify the clinicopathologic factors that affect the nonlifting sign in submucosal invasive colorectal carcinoma (SICC). DESIGN: Details regarding a history of biopsy, postbiopsy days, tumor location, tumor configuration, tumor size, depth of submucosal invasion, histologic type, adenomatous remnants, and angiolymphatic invasion were studied in relation to the nonlifting sign. SETTING: National Cancer Center, Korea. PATIENTS: The study involved 76 patients with SICC treated by endoscopic or surgical resection, in whom the tumor was examined for the nonlifting sign from 2001 to 2006. RESULTS: The nonlifting sign was observed in 15 cases (19.7%). A deep submucosal invasion, a history of biopsy, and the absence of adenomatous remnants were identified as factors affecting the nonlifting sign in univariate and multivariate analyses (P < .05). An increase in the number of postbiopsy days was associated with the nonlifting sign in endoscopically resectable SICC, and all 11 sm1 cancer cases with fewer than 21 postbiopsy days showed lifting. CONCLUSIONS: A history of biopsy and the absence of adenomatous remnants, in addition to deep submucosal invasion, were found to influence the nonlifting sign in SICC. It may be best that mechanical stimulation such as forceps biopsies are minimized before EMR, and EMR should be tried as soon as possible if biopsy was performed.
- 0016-5107 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.