S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Surgery (외과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_외과학전공)
Cellular and peritoneal immune response after radical laparoscopy-assisted and open gastrectomy for gastric cancer
- Jung, Il-Kwon; Kim, Min-Chan; Kim, Kyeong-Hee; Kwak, Jong-Young; Jung, Ghap-Joong; Kim, Hyung-Ho
- Issue Date
- J Surg Oncol. 2008 ;98(1):54-9.
- Acute-Phase Proteins/metabolism; Ascitic Fluid/immunology; C-Reactive Protein/metabolism; Gastrectomy/*adverse effects; Humans; Immunity, Cellular/*immunology; Interleukin-10/metabolism; Interleukin-6/metabolism; Laparoscopy/*adverse effects; Length of Stay; Leukocyte Count; Lymphocyte Count; Peritoneum/*immunology; Postoperative Period; Serum Amyloid A Protein/metabolism; Stomach Neoplasms/*surgery; Tumor Necrosis Factor-alpha/metabolism
- BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES: The aim of this study was to assess cellular and peritoneal immune responses after radical laparoscopic surgery in gastric cancer. METHODS: Peripheral heparinized plasma and plain serum tube samples were collected preoperatively, and at 2 hr, 1 day, and 4 days postoperatively for analysis o; white blood cells, total lymphocytes, T-helper lymphocytes, T-suppressor lymphocytes, B-lymphocytes, natural killer cells, plasma C-reactive protein and serum amyloid-A. Twenty-four hours peritoneal fluid collection was performed on days 1 and 4 for TNF-alpha, IL-6, and IL-10 analysis. RESULTS: No statistical differences were observed between the two groups with respect to immunocompetent cell counts. The serum levels of plasma CRP and SAA gradually increased significantly with time in both groups, but these temporal increases were lower in the LADG group (CRP; P = 0.03, SAA; P = 0.01). Peritoneal TNF-alpha levels in the CODG group at 4 days postoperatively were significantly higher than at day 1, but remained almost unchanged in the LADG group, and this difference was significant (P = 0.02). CONCLUSION: Because of its association with reduced peritoneal immune activity, laparoscopic surgery for advanced gastric cancer may require careful consideration in practice. Additional, larger prospective multicenter trials are required before a consensus can be reached.
- 1096-9098 (Electronic)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.