S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Surgery (외과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_외과학전공)
Abnormal direct entry of the umbilical vein into the portal vein: report of a case
- Moon, Suk-Bae; Park, Kwi-Won; Jung, Sung-Eun
- Issue Date
- Springer Verlag
- Pediatr Surg Int. 2008 ;24(11):1243-5.
- Aneurysm/*congenital/diagnosis/surgery; Dilatation, Pathologic; Female; Humans; Infant, Newborn; Portal Vein/*abnormalities; Tomography, X-Ray Computed; Ultrasonography, Prenatal; Umbilical Veins/*abnormalities
- Abnormalities of the intra-abdominal umbilical venous connections are rare congenital vascular anomalies. We report a case of an aneurismal dilatation of an umbilical vein directly connected to the portal vein, vital for the delivery of placental blood in the fetus. A term female newborn presented with a dilated umbilical vein detected by prenatal ultrasound. CT angiography revealed an aneurismal dilatation of a vascular structure, from the umbilical ring to the main portal vein. Follow-up CT angiography showed thrombus progression up to the level of SMV inlet. A laparotomy revealed that the normal course of the umbilical vein was absent. The aneurysm was resected and no thrombus was noted in the aneurysm. Post-operative ultrasound revealed an isolated thrombus at the right main portal vein that resolved spontaneously on the follow-up ultrasound. At the 6-month post-operative follow-up, the baby was well and without complications. Although not evaluated for the presence of a ductus venosus, this anomalous umbilical-portal venous connection might have been associated with an absent ductus venosus.
- 0179-0358 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.