S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Otorhinolaryngology (이비인후과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_이비인후과학전공)
Nasal cavity paraganglioma with malignant transformation: a case report
- Jin, Hong-Ryul; Lee, Ok-Jun; Ahn, Youngjin
- Issue Date
- Auris Nasus Larynx. 2008 ;35(1):137-9.
- Adult; Cell Transformation, Neoplastic/*pathology; Diagnosis, Differential; Endoscopy; Epistaxis/etiology; Female; Humans; Nasal Cavity/*pathology/surgery; Neuroectodermal Tumors, Primitive/pathology/surgery; Nose Neoplasms/*pathology/surgery; Paraganglioma/*pathology/surgery; S100 Proteins/analysis; Sarcoma, Ewing's/pathology/surgery; Tumor Markers, Biological/analysis; Turbinates/*pathology/surgery
- BACKGROUND: In this report, we describe a young woman with a nasal cavity paraganglioma with malignant transformation. METHODS AND RESULTS: A 23-year-old woman presented with frequent right-sided epistaxis. Physical examination revealed a pedunculated mass originating from the right superior turbinate and filling the posterior nasal cavity. The endoscopically removed mass was composed of a reddish anterior portion and a white, flesh-looking posterior portion, the latter comprising the majority of the tumor. Histologically, the anterior portion showed a paraganglioma and the posterior portion showed a separate malignant lesion simulating Ewing's sarcoma/PNET. She underwent wide endoscopic excision including the site of tumor origin and has been followed up for 3 years without any evidence of disease recurrence. CONCLUSION: This is a rare case of nasal cavity paraganglioma that had transformed into a malignant tumor.
- 0385-8146 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.