S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Association of angiotensin II type 2 receptor gene A1818T polymorphism with progression of immunoglobulin A nephropathy in Korean patients
- Yoon, Hyung Jin; Chin, Ho Jun; Na, Ki Young; Chae, Dong-Wan; Kim, Suhnggwon; Jeon, Un Sil; Chung, Woo Kyung; Lee, Hyun Hee; Yang, Jaeseok; Kim, Sejoong; Kwon, Young-Joo; Kim, Hyun Chul; Park, Sung Bae; Kim, Hye Young; Lee, Tae Woo
- Issue Date
- Korean Academy of Medical Science
- J Korean Med Sci. 2009 Jan;24 Suppl:S38-43. Epub 2009 Jan 28.
- Alleles; Creatinine/blood; Disease Progression; Genotype; Glomerulonephritis, IGA/ethnology/*genetics; Humans; Korea; Models, Genetic; Models, Statistical; *Polymorphism, Genetic; Polymorphism, Restriction Fragment Length; *Polymorphism, Single Nucleotide; Receptor, Angiotensin, Type 2/*genetics; Time Factors; Treatment Outcome
- We determined the relationship between the progression of immunoglobulin A nephropathy (IgAN) and the A1818T polymorphism in intron 2 of Angiotensin II type 2 receptor (AT2R) gene, which might play protective roles in the pathogenesis of IgAN. Patients with biopsy-proven IgAN were recruited from the registry of the Progressive REnal disease and Medical Informatics and gEnomics Research (PREMIER) which was sponsored by the Korean Society of Nephrology. A1818T polymorphism of AT2R gene was analyzed with PCR-RFLP method and the association with the progression of IgAN, which was defined as over 50% increase in baseline serum creatinine level, was analyzed with survival analysis. Among the 480 patients followed for more than 10 months, the group without T allele had significantly higher rates of progression of IgAN than the group with T allele (11.4% vs. 3.9%, p=0.024), although there were no significant differences in the baseline variables such as initial serum creatinine level, the degree of proteinuria, and blood pressure. In the Cox's proportional hazard model, the hazard ratio of disease progression in the patients with T allele was 0.221 (95% confidence interval for Exp(B): 0.052-0.940, p=0.041) compared to that of without T allele. In conclusion, A1818T polymorphism of AT2R gene was associated with the progression of IgAN.
- 1011-8934 (Print)