S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Dermatology (피부과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_피부과학전공)
Evaluation of the newly established acne severity classification among Japanese and Korean dermatologists
- Hayashi, Nobukazu; Suh, Dae Hun; Akamatsu, Hirohiko; Kawashima, Makoto
- Issue Date
- J Dermatol. 2008 ;35(5):261-3.
- Acne Vulgaris/*classification/pathology; Humans; Japan; Korea; Photography; *Severity of Illness Index
- Recently, we established an acne severity classification that is based on scientific evidence. Our classification allows three different methods for grading, which include general impression of consulted dermatologist, photograph-based estimation by independent experts, and grading by lesion counting. In our classification, we proposed standard photographs for the estimation of general severity to adjust the basis of judgments. In this study, we evaluated the validity of our classification. We made questionnaires of acne severity using acne patients' photographs, which were selected from the collection of representative photographs of our classification. Participants answered these questionnaires before and after our presentations about our classification of acne severity. We identified the conformity rate with our consensus decision. The results revealed that average conformity rates were raised from 67.0% to 88.9% among Japanese dermatologists and from 68.0% to 79.8% among Korean ones. These data show the adequacy of both our grading system itself and its presentation. We believe our classification will be one of the most effective and reasonable grading systems to classify acne severity.
- 0385-2407 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.