S-Space Kyujanggak Institute for Korean Studies (규장각한국학연구원) Korean Culture (한국문화) Korean Culture (한국문화) vol.33 (2004)
서동요 해독 및 해석의 관점
- Issue Date
- 서울대학교 규장각한국학연구원
- 한국문화, Vol.33, pp. 69-90
- This esssy focuses on the problems of interpretation on "Seodong-yo" which is one of Hyangga in the Shilla and extracts the meanings in the words of the song with the new viewpoint that "Seodong-yo" connects with the "Tale of Seodong" and "Living with My Blessing". Traditionally. "Seodong-yo" has been a kind of children's verse, but recently it has been appraised as an incantation or prophetic song. Especially in case it is a prophetic song, it should extend to what the song means.
So far. thirty researchers have studied "Seodong-yo". But there are differences in their interpretations. This essay interprets "Seodong-yo" in connection with the tale including misread parts, and grasps the meaning of "Seodong-yo" as a result of this interpretation. The following points are made:
1. 'Bang'(房) of "Sea-dong-bang-eul'(蓍童房乙) should be interpreted as 'bang'(房/room). and 'Ran(卵)' of 'Ran-eul'(卵乙) is the erratum of 'ran' (卵) which means an egg.
2. 'Ran' is an egg. but its symbolic meaning is the blessing of royal princess Seonwha. That royal princess Seonwha with blessing goes to the room of Seodong is the whole meaning of the words of "Seodong-yo".
3. Since "Seodong-yo" has an extended meaning, which the fate of Shilla passes into Baekje. it intends to the hope that the fate of rival Shilla transfers to Baekje.
4. From this viewpoint. "Seodong-yo" will become a prophetic song, and the nationality of "Seodong-yo" is Baekje not Shilla.