S-Space College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (농업생명과학대학) The Arboretum, Seoul National University (수목원) Bulletin of the arboretum Seoul National University (수목원 연구보고) Bulletin of the arboretum Seoul National University no.13 (1993)
지표식물에 의한 수원시 녹지 환경의 공유성 평가에 관한 연구
The Assessment of Endemism of Green Environments by Plants - Indicator in Suown city.
- Issue Date
- The Arboretum, Seoul National University
- Bulletin of the Seoul National University Arboretum, no.13, pp.1-16
- This study was carried out to obtain some fundamental informations for creation of a desirable green environment composed of endemic woody plants in Suwon city, Kyounggido, Korea by investigation of current status of landscape resources and assessment of their endemism. Investigated cites were largely divided into five regions, of which residential areas,
park areas, educational facility areas, governmental office areas, and street areas. Survey
on habits, quantity, planting properties and kinds of woody plants planted within this regions
were accomplished. Three items for assessment such as nativeness, adaptability to urban environments,
the scenic beauty of woody plants planted were established. And based on these
items, endemic ranks about investigated plants were assessed.
Results obtained were as follows:
1. A total of 164 kinds and 19,089 individual trees of woody plants were grown within
investigated regions.The first class among them showed less than 20% of total occupation,
but exotic plants introduced amounted to 40%.
2. About 10 species of higher ranks occupied more than 50% of individual trees or 37
species done their 90%, which indicates that woody plants were skew planted.
3. Endemism level of Suwon city based on assessment items marked 44 points,, and
showed a considerable loss of endemism and extremely low level in quality of green environments.
4. To create a desirable green environment in Suwon city, spread plantation of 120 species
selected with excellant woody landscape plants is recommended and exotic plants were