S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Dermatology (피부과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_피부과학전공)
Berberine inhibits TPA-induced MMP-9 and IL-6 expression in normal human keratinocytes
- Kim, Sangmin; Kim, Yoonkyung; Kim, Ji Eun; Cho, Kwang Hyun; Chung, Jin Ho
- Issue Date
- Phytomedicine. 15(5), 340-347
- Berberine/chemistry/*pharmacology; Cells, Cultured; Gene Expression Regulation/drug effects; Humans; Interleukin-6/*antagonists & inhibitors/genetics/metabolism; Keratinocytes/*drug effects/metabolism; Matrix Metalloproteinase 9/*antagonists & inhibitors/genetics/metabolism; Molecular Structure; Pyridines/*toxicity
- Berberine is a plant ingredient that has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative effects. Matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9) and interleukin-6 (IL-6) are known to be highly induced by ultraviolet (UV) light and may play important roles in UV-induced skin inflammation and the skin aging process. In this study, we investigated the effects of berberine on MMP-9 and IL-6 expression in normal human keratinocytes (NHK). Our results demonstrated that berberine dose-dependently inhibited basal and TPA-induced expression and activity of MMP-9, and also suppressed TPA-induced IL-6 expression. Berberine prevented TPA-induced ERK activation and AP-1 DNA binding activity. Therefore, berberine may be used as an effective ingredient for anti-skin aging products, which can prevent skin inflammation and the degradation of extracellular matrix proteins, including collagen, by MMPs.
- 1618-095X (Electronic)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.