S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Civil & Environmental Engineering (건설환경공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_건설환경공학부)
Monthly Joint Operations for the Nakdong Multi-reservoir System in Korea
- Kim, Young-Oh; Eum, Hyung-Il; Kim, Sang Uk; Lee, Kil Seong
- Issue Date
- Water International, 32 (3), pp. 416-427
- Joint operations, multi-reservoir system; sampling stochastic dynamic programming; ensemble streamflow prediction; SSARR rainfall runoff model; STELLA simulation model; Korea
- This study applies a state-of-art optimization technique, SSDP/ESP (Sampling Stochastic Dynamic Programming with Ensemble Streamflow Prediction), to derive a monthly joint operating policy for the Nakdong multi-reservoir system in Korea. A rainfall-runoff model, SSARR (Streamflow Synthesis And Reservoir Regulation), is linked to the SSDP/ESP model to provide ESP scenarios for runoff during the next month in the Nakdong River basin. The primary advantage of the SSDP/ESP is that it updates the derived operating policy as new ESP forecasts become available. Another SSDP model that employs historical runoff scenarios (SSDP/Hist) is also developed. The main difference between the two SSDP models is that SSDP/Hist is an off-line model whereas the SSDP/ESP is on-line. The developed operating policies are tested with a simulation model using an object-oriented simulation software, STELLA. The simulation results show that SSDP/ESP is superior to SSDP/Hist with respect to the water supply criterion, although both models perform similarly with respect to the hydroelectric energy production criterion.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.