S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Radiology (영상의학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_영상의학전공)
Comparison of 7 staging systems for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma undergoing transarterial chemoembolization
- Cho, Yun Ku; Chung, Jin Wook; Kim, Jae Kyun; Ahn, Yong Sik; Kim, Mi Young; Park, Yoon Ok; Kim, Wan Tae; Byun, Jong Hoon
- Issue Date
- Cancer. 2008;112(2):352-361
- Aged; Carcinoma, Hepatocellular/mortality/pathology/*therapy; *Chemoembolization, Therapeutic; Female; Humans; Liver Neoplasms/mortality/pathology/*therapy; Male; Middle Aged; Neoplasm Staging; Survival Rate
- BACKGROUND: Many liver staging systems have been proposed for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma after locoregional therapy; however, controversies persist regarding which system is the best. In this study, the authors compared the performance of 7 staging systems in a cohort of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma who underwent transarterial chemoembolization. METHODS: In total, 131 patients with hepatocellular carcinoma who underwent transarterial chemoembolization between August 1998 and February 2005 were included in the study. Demographic, laboratory, and tumor characteristics were determined at diagnosis and before therapy. At the time of censorship, 109 patients had died (83.2%). Predictors of survival were identified by using the Cox proportional hazards model. The likelihood-ratio chi-square statistic and the Akaike Information Criterion were calculated for 7 prognostic systems to evaluate their discriminatory ability. Comparisons of the survival rate between each stage were performed to evaluate the monotonicity of the gradients using Kaplan-Meier estimation and the log-rank test. RESULTS: The 5-year survival rate for the entire cohort was 13.6%. The independent predictors of survival were serum albumin level (60 ng/mL), and portal or hepatic vein tumor thrombosis (P= .001, P= .001, P= .004, and P= .000, respectively). The Cancer of the Liver Italian Program classification system was superior to the other 6 prognostic systems regarding discriminatory ability and the monotonicity of the gradients. CONCLUSIONS: In this comparison of many staging systems, the Cancer of Liver Italian Program system provided the best prognostic stratification for a cohort the patients with hepatocellular carcinoma who underwent transarterial chemoembolization.
- 0008-543X (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.