S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Radiology (영상의학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_영상의학전공)
Evolution of VX2 carcinoma in rabbit tibia: magnetic resonance imaging with pathologic correlation
- Choi, Jung-Ah; Kang, Eun Young; Kim, Han Kyeom; Song, In Chan; Kim, Young I I; Kang, Heung Sik
- Issue Date
- Clin Imaging. 2008;32(2):128-35
- Animals; Bone Neoplasms/*pathology/*secondary; *Magnetic Resonance Imaging; Necrosis; Neoplasm Transplantation; Neoplasms, Experimental/pathology; Rabbits; Tibia/*pathology
- OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the evolution of a metastatic bone tumor model with MRI-pathology correlation. MATERIALS AND METHODS: VX2 carcinoma was implanted into the tibiae of 20 rabbits. The rabbits were divided into four groups of five (Groups I-IV). MRI was repeated at 1-week interval up to the fourth week, including sagittal T1-weighted image (T1WI), T2-weighted image (T2WI), gadolinium-enhanced fat-suppressed T1WI (GdT1WI), and diffusion-weighted image (DWI). Each group was sacrificed after the imaging, then histological examination for the tibiae with an implanted tumor was performed and MRI-pathologic correlation was done. RESULTS: On MRI-pathology correlation, the corresponding findings were as follows; low SI on T1WI, T2WI-tumor cells, fibrosis (1 week); central low SI on T1WI, T2WI, GdT1WI -tumor cells with fibrosis and necrosis; peripheral high SI on T2WI, DWI, GdT1WI-edema, fibrosis (2 weeks); heterogeneous SI with central low SI on T2WI, DWI-tumor cell nests with extensive necrosis, fibrosis; high SI on T2WI along periosteum-periosteal reaction; high SI around low SI and in bone marrow on T2WI, DWI, GdT1WI-edema, fibrosis; low SI on T1WI in surrounding bone marrow-tumor extension (3-4 weeks). CONCLUSION: The evolution of VX2 carcinoma model was well depicted on MR imaging. Necrosis and extent of tumor were best depicted on enhanced, fat-suppressed T1-weighted images. Heterogeneity of the tumor, peripheral edema, and fibrosis were represented well on T2-weighted images. Diffusion-weighted imaging could have a role in depicting necrosis in the evaluation of bone tumor.
- 0899-7071 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.