S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Genetic variation of IL13 as a risk factor of reduced lung function in children and adolescents: a cross-sectional population-based study in Korea
- Park, Heung-Woo; Lee, Jong-Eun; Kim, Se-Hoon; Kim, Yoon-Keun; Min, Kyung-Up; Kim, You-Young; Cho, Sang-Heon
- Issue Date
- Respir Med. 2009;103(2):284-8
- Adolescent; Asthma/*genetics/physiopathology; Bronchial Provocation Tests/methods; Child; Cross-Sectional Studies; Female; Forced Expiratory Volume/*genetics/physiology; Genetic Variation/genetics; Genotype; Humans; Interleukin-13/*genetics/physiology; Korea; Male; Polymorphism, Single Nucleotide/genetics; Risk Factors; Tobacco Smoke Pollution/adverse effects; Vital Capacity/*genetics/physiology
- BACKGROUND: Previous investigations have suggested that genetic variations are associated with reduced lung function in early childhood. This study was conducted to evaluate the association between IL13+2044G-->A, the functionally relevant single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) in the gene coding IL13, and lung function in early childhood. PATIENTS AND METHODS: A total of 1900 subjects aged 10-18 years living in Korea, were randomly recruited. Lung function test and methacholine bronchial provocation test were performed. Multiple regression analysis adjusting for sex, age, height, atopy, and history of passive smoking was done to evaluate effect of IL13+2044G-->A on lung function. RESULTS: Mean (+/-SD) forced expiratory volume in 1 s (FEV(1)) was 2.66 L (+/-0.60) in subjects with the AA or AG genotype (n=982) and 2.75 L (+/-0.57) in subjects with the GG genotype (n=918). IL13+2044G-->A showed a significant association with FEV(1) [in the minor allele dominant model (GG vs. AG+AA), P<0.001]. Interestingly, the association between FEV(1) and IL13+2044G-->A remained still significant in subgroup analysis according to the presence of AHR (P<0.001 in subjects without AHR and P=0.002 in subjects with AHR). Moreover, FEV(1)/FVC (forced vital capacity) ratio also showed a significant association with IL13+2044G-->A in both groups (P<0.001 in subjects without AHR and P<0.001 in subjects with AHR). This cross-sectional study demonstrates that IL13+2044G-->A is significantly associated with a reduced lung function in Korean children and adolescents.
- 1532-3064 (Electronic)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.