S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Obstetrics & Gynecology (산부인과전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_산부인과학전공)
FAS -1377 G/A polymorphism and the risk of lymph node metastasis in cervical cancer
- Kang, Sokbom; Dong, Seung Myung; Seo, Sang Soo; Kim, Jae Weon; Park, Sang Yoon
- Issue Date
- Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2008;180(1):1-5
- Adult; Aged; Antigens, CD95/*genetics; Asian Continental Ancestry Group; Case-Control Studies; Fas Ligand Protein/*genetics; Female; Genetic Predisposition to Disease; Humans; Lymphatic Metastasis; Middle Aged; *Polymorphism, Single Nucleotide; Risk Factors; Uterine Cervical Neoplasms/*genetics/pathology
- Single-nucleotide polymorphisms of the FAS -1377G/A, FAS -670A/G, and FASL -844T/C genes may alter transcriptional activity of these genes. Recent evidence suggests an association of these polymorphisms with an increased risk of cervical cancer, so we explored this relationship. Genotypes of 155 patients with cervical cancer and 160 healthy control subjects were determined using polymerase chain reaction-based restriction fragment length polymorphism (PCR-RFLP). Associations with cancer risk were estimated using two-sided logistic regression. We observed a significantly increased risk of lymph node metastasis associated with the FAS -1377 GA or AA polymorphism [odds ratio (OR) = 4.16, 95% confidence interval (CI) = 1.10 to 15.74; P = 0.036]. In addition, the FAS -670AG or GG genotype showed an increased incidence of node metastasis, but these findings were not statistically significant (OR = 3.67, 95% CI = 0.96-14.00, P = 0.059). There was no significant association between an increased risk of cervical cancer and polymorphisms of the death pathway genes FAS and FASL. None of the polymorphisms were associated with risk of advanced stage or histologic subtype of cervical cancer. In conclusion, FAS -1377 G-->A polymorphism may be associated with an increased risk of lymph node metastasis in Korean cervical cancer patients.
- 0165-4608 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.