S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Obstetrics & Gynecology (산부인과전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_산부인과학전공)
Relationships between the insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) receptor gene G3174A polymorphism, serum IGF-I levels, and bone mineral density in postmenopausal Korean women
- Lee, Dong Ock; Jee, Byung Chul; Ku, Seung-Yup; Suh, Chang Suk; Kim, Seok Hyun; Choi, Young Min; Moon, Shin Yong; Kim, Jung Gu
- Issue Date
- Springer Verlag
- J Bone Miner Metab.26(1):42-46
- Adult; Aged; *Bone Density; Female; Humans; Insulin-Like Growth Factor I/*metabolism; Korea; Middle Aged; *Polymorphism, Genetic; *Postmenopause; Receptor, IGF Type 1/*genetics
- We investigated the relationships between the IGF-I receptor gene G3174A polymorphism, serum IGF-I levels, and bone mineral density (BMD) in postmenopausal Korean women. The IGF-I receptor gene G3174A polymorphism was analyzed in 367 postmenopausal Korean women. Serum levels of IGF-I, bone turnover markers (osteocalcin, bone alkaline phosphatase, carboxy-terminal cross-linking telopeptide of type I collagen), and BMD at the lumbar spine and proximal femur were measured. The frequencies of the AA, GA, and GG genotypes were 10.9%, 44.1%, and 45.0%, respectively. BMD at the lumbar spine was significantly higher for the AA genotype than the other genotypes and showed an A allelic dose effect; however, no significant differences in BMD were observed at the proximal femur with respect to genotype. No differences were noted between the three genotypes in terms of serum levels of IGF-I or bone turnover markers. Women with low BMD showed a lower prevalence of the AA genotype and A allele than age-matched women with normal BMD. Women with the AA genotype were found to have about half the risk of a low BMD than women with other genotypes. In conclusion, IGF-I receptor gene G3174A polymorphism is associated with lumbar spine BMD in postmenopausal Korean women.
- 0914-8779 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.