S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Dept. of Physiology (생리학교실) Journal Papers (저널논문_생리학교실)
Menthol regulates TRPM8-independent processes in PC-3 prostate cancer cells
- Kim, Su-Hwa; Nam, Joo-Hyun; Park, Eun-Jung; Kim, Byung-Joo; Kim, Sung-Joon; So, Insuk; Jeon, Ju-Hong
- Issue Date
- Biochim Biophys Acta. 1792 (2009) 33-38
- Calcium/metabolism; Calcium Channels/metabolism; Cell Death/drug effects/physiology; Cell Line, Tumor; Humans; Ion Transport/drug effects; JNK Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinases/metabolism; Male; Menthol/*pharmacology; Nerve Tissue Proteins/metabolism; Prostatic Neoplasms/*drug therapy/genetics/*metabolism/pathology; Signal Transduction/drug effects; TRPM Cation Channels/genetics/*metabolism; Transient Receptor Potential Channels/metabolism
- Menthol, a naturally occurring compound from peppermint oil, binds and activates the TRPM8 Ca(2+)-permeable channel that exhibits abnormal expression patterns in prostate cancer, suggesting that TRPM8 links Ca(2+) transport pathways to tumor biology. We thus investigated the cellular responses of prostate cancer cells to menthol. Here we found that menthol increases [Ca(2+)](i) via Ca(2+) influx mechanism(s) independent of TRPM8 in PC-3 cells. We demonstrated that menthol induces cell death at supramillimolar concentrations in PC-3 cells and the cell death is not suppressed by low extracellular Ca(2+) condition which indicates that menthol-induced cell death is not associated with Ca(2+) influx pathways. In addition, we showed that menthol increases a phosphorylated form of c-jun N-terminal kinase (JNK) in PC-3 cells through TRPM8-independent mechanisms. Thus, our data indicate that there is an apparent lack of causality between TRPM8 activation and menthol-induced cell death and that menthol can regulate TRPM8-independent Ca(2+)-transport and cellular processes.
- 0006-3002 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.