S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Prognostic value of platelet indices as determined by ADVIA 120 in patients suspected of having disseminated intravascular coagulation
- Kim, H K; Kim, J-E; Ham, C K; Lee, D S; Park, S; Cho, H-I
- Issue Date
- Int J Lab Hematol. 30(2), 117-123
- Adult; Aged; Blood Cell Count/instrumentation; Blood Platelets/*physiology; Disseminated Intravascular; Coagulation/blood/*diagnosis/mortality/*physiopathology; Female; Hemostasis; Humans; Male; Middle Aged; *Platelet Count/instrumentation; Prognosis
- Recent technological advances have made it possible to record a variety of platelet indices using automated hematology analyzers. Disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) is associated with the dramatic hemostasis activation, with evidence of fibrin formation and platelet consumption. We investigated the prognostic significance of platelet indices as measured by ADVIA in 222 patients suspected of having DIC. The presence of overt DIC was defined using the scoring system of the International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis Subcommittee. Twenty-eight day hospital mortality was used as a clinical prognosis parameter. Median platelet count and platelet-crit (PCT) levels markedly decreased in nonsurvivors, whereas mean platelet volume (MPV), platelet component distribution width (PCDW) and platelet dry mass distribution width (PMDW) were significantly increased in nonsurvivors. In terms of ROC analysis, which was conducted to predict 28-day mortality, areas under the receiver operating characteristic curve (AUC) were; 0.73 platelet count, 0.72 for PCT, 0.69 for PCDW, 0.65 for PMDW and 0.61 for MPV. The odds ratio of a reduced platelet count for the relative risk of 28-day mortality was 5.249 (95% CI: 2.399-11.486), and the odds ratio for PCDW was 3.240 and for PMDW 3.262. Among these indices, platelet count, PCDW and PMDW were found to be more predictive of 28-day hospital mortality. Our results suggest that these indices may provide prognostic information on hospital mortality in the patients suspected of having DIC.
- 1751-5521 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.