S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Dept. of Neurology (신경과학교실) Journal Papers (저널논문_신경과학교실)
An open-label trial of Korean red ginseng as an adjuvant treatment for cognitive impairment in patients with Alzheimer's disease
- Heo, J-H; Lee, S-T; Chu, K; Oh, M J; Park, H-J; Shim, J-Y; Kim, M
- Issue Date
- Eur J Neurol. 2008; 15(8): 865-868
- Aged; Alzheimer Disease/complications/*drug therapy; Cognition Disorders/*drug therapy/etiology; Female; Humans; Male; Neuropsychological Tests; *Panax; *Phytotherapy; Pilot Projects
- BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE: Ginseng is one of the most popular herbs worldwide. Ginseng has various medical applications, and it seems to have significant effects as a cognition-enhancing drug. In this study, we examined the efficacy of Korean red ginseng (KRG) as an adjuvant therapy to conventional anti-dementia medications in patients with Alzheimer's disease. METHODS: The trial was designed as a 12-week randomized study. Sixty-one patients (24 males and 37 females) with Alzheimer's disease were randomly assigned to one of the following treatment groups: low-dose KRG (4.5 g/day, n = 15), high-dose KRG (9 g/day, n = 15) or control (n = 31). The Alzheimer's Disease Assessment Scale (ADAS), Korean version of the Mini-Mental Status Examination (K-MMSE) and Clinical Dementia Rating (CDR) scale were used to assess the change in cognitive and functional performance at the end of the 12-week study period. RESULTS: The patients in the high-dose KRG group showed significant improvement on the ADAS and CDR after 12 weeks of KRG therapy when compared with those in the control group (P = 0.032 and 0.006 respectively). The KRG treatment groups showed improvement from baseline MMSE when compared with the control group (1.42 vs. -0.48), but this improvement was not statistically significant. CONCLUSIONS: KRG showed good efficacy for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease; however, further studies with larger samples of patients and a longer efficacy trial should be conducted to confirm the efficacy of KRG.
- 1468-1331 (Electronic)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.