S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Dept. of Neurology (신경과학교실) Journal Papers (저널논문_신경과학교실)
The value of video-EEG monitoring to diagnose juvenile myoclonic epilepsy
- Park, Kyung-Il; Lee, Sang Kun; Chu, Kon; Lee, Jung Ju; Kim, Dong Wook; Nam, Hyunwoo
- Issue Date
- Seizure. 2009;18(2):94-99
- Adolescent; Adult; Anticonvulsants/therapeutic use; Child; *Electroencephalography; Female; Humans; Male; Myoclonic Epilepsy, Juvenile/*diagnosis/drug therapy; *Video Recording
- OBJECTIVE: A diagnostic accuracy of conventional electroencephalography (EEG) is approximately 50% at best. We aimed to determine the accuracy of video-EEG monitoring (VEM) for a correct diagnosis and the feasibility of its clinical application. The data from all 55 patients (M:F=31:24) with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy (JME) who underwent VEM were reviewed according to the clinical history, brain imaging and video-EEG findings. RESULTS: Age at seizure onset ranged from 10 to 25 (15.5+/-2.7 years). The age at VEM ranged from 15 to 46 (21.8+/-5.8 years) and 57% (29/51) showed seizures. Of those, 20 patients (69%) showed myoclonic jerks alone, whereas 3 (10%) showed generalized seizures alone. Both of these conditions were observed in 6 patients (21%). Interictal abnormalities alone without clinical seizures were detected in 16 patients (31%). Atypical semiologies such as asymmetric myoclonus or versive seizures were observed in 18 patients (35%) during video monitoring. Interestingly three patients complained of visual aura on history. The duration of VEM ranged from 1 to 6 days (1.8+/-1.1). Overall, 88% of patients showed an EEG abnormality with/without seizure, concordant with JME. Among 10 patients with a normal conventional EEG before VEM, 9 showed interictal or ictal EEG abnormalities during approximately 1-day of VEM. CONCLUSIONS: VEM for 1 or 2 days is appropriate for making a correct diagnosis of JME, especially in patients having an atypical semiology and a normal result on the conventional EEG.
- 1059-1311 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.