S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Dept. of Physiology (생리학교실) Journal Papers (저널논문_생리학교실)
Physiome and Sasang Constitutional Medicine
- Issue Date
- The Physiological Society of Japan
- J Physiol Sci. 2008;58(7):433-440
- Biomedical Research ; Body Constitution ; Diagnostic Techniques and Procedures ; History, 20th Century ; History, 21st Century ; Humans ; Holistic Health/history ; Integrative Medicine/history ; Medicine, Korean Traditional/history ; Systems Biology/history
- Sasang Constitutional Medicine (SCM) is a traditional Korean form of medicine widely used in the clinical diagnosis and treatment of disease. This paper reviews the main aspects of SCM and "physiome" with emphasis on integrative and holistic characteristics. Methodological and physiological aspects of SCM are summarized with reference to existing studies. The main characteristics of SCM, such as the four physical constitutions and diagnostic methods, are introduced. Moreover, physiome and systems medicine are introduced as plausible candidates for integrative medicine and are compared to reductionism-based molecular biology. We also discuss the conceptual similarity of SCM with predictive, preventive, personalized, and participatory (P4) medicine. It is emphasized that the integrative and creative combination of SCM and physiome will unlock a new era of holistic medicine.
- 1880-6546 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.