Detailed Information

Odontogenic keratocyst: Review of 256 cases for recurrence and clinicopathologic parameters

DC Field Value Language
dc.contributor.authorChoung, Pill-Hoon-
dc.contributor.authorMyoung, Hoon-
dc.contributor.authorHong, Sam-Pyo-
dc.contributor.authorHong, Seong-Doo-
dc.contributor.authorLee, Jae-Il-
dc.contributor.authorLim, Chang-Yun-
dc.contributor.authorLee, Jong-Ho-
dc.contributor.authorChoi, Jin-Young-
dc.contributor.authorSeo, Byoung-Moo-
dc.contributor.authorKim, Myung-Jin-
dc.identifier.citationOral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2001;91:328-333en
dc.description.abstractOdontogenic keratocyst (OKC) is of particular interest because of its high recurrence rate and aggressive behavior. Two hundred fifty-six cases of OKC were reviewed for the age of the patient at diagnosis, sex of the patient, OKC location, and radiographic findings, and 132 patients with OKC were observed to estimate recurrence, which was analyzed for age, sex, location, and several histopathologic findings. OKCs occurred more frequently in men (58.6%) than in women (41.4%), and they occurred in patients within a wide age range, most commonly in patients in the third decade of life (28.9%), followed by those in the second decade (25.0%); the mean age of patients with OKC was 30.8 years. One hundred ninety-six of the 256 cases (76.5%) occurred in the mandible, and the other 60 cases (23.5%) occurred in the maxilla. The mandibular molar and the premolar areas (51.2%) were the most common sites, and the most frequent clinical manifestations at first admission were swelling, pain, or both (82.4% of total cases). Radiographic impressions included dentigerous cyst (27.3%), OKC (25.4%), primordial cyst (14.8%), ameloblastoma (11.7%), residual cyst (9.8%), and radicular cyst (3.1%). The frequency of recurrence at the follow-up examination was 58.3%. There was no significant difference in the recurrence rate on the basis of the sex of the patient. However, OKCs had a significantly higher recurrence rate in patients in the fifth decade of life than in patients in the other age groups (P = .005). Recurrence rates were significantly dependent on the sites of involvement, and OKCs in the mandibular molar region had significantly higher recurrence rates than those in other sites (P = .001). The histopathologic presence of one or more daughter cysts was significantly related to recurrence (P = .03). (Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2001;91:328-33)en
dc.titleOdontogenic keratocyst: Review of 256 cases for recurrence and clinicopathologic parametersen
Appears in Collections:
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.


Item View & Download Count

  • mendeley

Items in S-Space are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.