S-Space College of Dentistry/School of Dentistry (치과대학/치의학대학원) Dept. of Dentistry (치의학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_치의학과)
The relationship between volatile sulfur compounds and major halitosis-inducing factors
- Kho, Hong-Seop; Lee, Chae-Hoon; Chung, Sung-Chang; Lee, Sung-Woo; Kim, Young-Ku
- Issue Date
- American Academy of Periodontology
- Journal of Periodontology 2003;74:32-37
- Halitosis/etiology; periodontal diseases/adverse effects; sulfur compounds; tongue diseases/adverse effects
- Background: Although tongue coating and periodontal conditions have been reported to be major halitosis-inducing factors, the relationship between volatile sulfur compounds (VSC) and these 2 major factors is not yet fully understood. The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship of VSC concentrations to tongue coating and periodontal health.
Methods: Forty subjects (mean age 33.3 years, range 14 to 64 years) were enrolled in this study. Gas chromatography was performed to analyze each VSC component from the mouth air sampled prior to tongue scraping, after tongue scraping, and after a subsequent prophylaxis on the interdental spaces.
Results: CH3SH was the most malodorous component among the 3 major VSC from the mouth air. The high CH3SH group showed a significantly higher organoleptic rating (P <0.01), gingival index (P <0.01), bleeding index (P <0.01), probing depth (P <0.05), and VSC concentrations prior to tongue scraping (P <0.01), except for the amount of tongue coating, compared to the low CH3SH group. All VSC concentrations were vastly reduced by tongue scraping in both groups, and the remaining contents were nearly all removed by the subsequent prophylaxis. The VSC contents produced by the tongue coating played a major role [H2S: 76%; CH3SH: 52%; (CH3)2S: 55%] in the low CH3SH group. In the high CH3SH group which had poor periodontal health, the tongue coating still played a major role [H2S: 67%; CH3SH: 59%; (CH3)2S: 48%], but the interdental spaces also contributed to VSC production [H2S: 26%; CH3SH: 32%; (CH3)2S; 36%].
Conclusions: The tongue coating was demonstrated to be a primary halitosis-inducing factor. Periodontal health was also shown to contribute to VSC production. J Periodontol 2003;74:32-37.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.