S-Space College of Veterinary Medicine (수의과대학) Dept. of Veterinary Medicine (수의학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_수의학과)
Antibiogram and Coagulase Diversity in Staphylococcal Enterotoxin-Producing Staphylococcus aureus from Bovine Mastitis
- Moon, J. S.; Lee, A. R.; Kang, H. M.; Lee, E. S.; Joo, Y. S.; Park, Yong Ho; Kim, M. N.; Koo, H. C.
- Issue Date
- American Dairy Science Association
- J. Dairy Sci. 90:1716–1724
- We investigated antibiogram and coagulase gene diversity in staphylococcal enterotoxin (StE)-producing Staphylococcus aureus isolated from raw milk samples of cows infected with mastitis from 140 dairy farms in Korea between 1997 and 2004. Of the 696 Staph. aureus isolates collected in this study, 164 isolates (23.6%) produced one or more staphylococcal enterotoxins (A to D), and 19 isolates (2.7%) were methicillin-resistant. The percentage of StE-producing Staph. aureus (SES) isolates resistant to methicillin, kanamycin, neomycin, amikacin, and tetracycline was greater than that of non-SES. Ten coagulase genotype patterns were observed, including 4 main types comprising I (25.4%), II (13.9%), VII (13.2%), and VIII (17.8%). More than 4 Staph. aureus types were isolated from each of 82 dairy farms in different geographic locations, and only 1 coagulase genotype pattern was observed in 39 of the herds (47.6%). There was no significant correlation between coagulase genotypes harbored by Staph. aureus and their specific StE type. The percentage of isolates producing major StE types (A, B, AC, and ABCD) and being resistant to cephalothin and methicillin was greater among the Staph. aureus isolates with the 4 predominant coagulase genotypes (I, II, VII, and VIII) than among the isolates harboring the 6 rare coagulase types (III, IV, V, VI, IX, and X). Based on coagulase gene polymorphisms, our data indicate that a broad distribution of identical or closely related enterotoxin-producing Staph. aureus strains seem to contribute to bovine mastitis in the Republic of Korea.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.