S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Dept. of Medicine (의학과) The Seoul Journal of Medicine The Seoul Journal of Medicine Vol. 24 No.4 (1983)
소아의 급성화농성 뇌막염의 임상적 고찰
Acute Bacterial Meningitis in Infancy and Childhood
- 최중환; 황용승; 윤종구; 최한웅
- Issue Date
- 서울대학교 의과대학
- Seoul J Med, Vol.24 No.4, pp. 403-413
- Ninety one cases of acute bacterial meningitis.
diagnosed during the period of 1977~1982, at pediatric
ward of Seoul National University Hospital,
were studied. The following results were obtained.
1) Among the total 91 cases, 62 cases (68. 1%)
were male and 29 cases (31. 9%) were female. The
sex ratio was approximately 2.1 : 1.
2) The highest incidence was showed in the 1st
year of life. Most of cases (74.7%) were under 5
year of age.
3) SeasonI incidence was highest in spring and
autumn (esp, in May and November).
4) On admission, the most frequent symptom was
fever (8S.7%), and followed by vomiting (68.1%),
convulsion (59.3%), and headache (57.1%). And
the most frequent physical sign was neck stiffness
(60.4%), and followed by Kcrnig's sign (38.3%),
Brudzinski's sign(29.7%), and buldging fontanel
5) On admission, leukocytosis (WIlC counts over
10,000/mm') on peripheral blood smear was showed
in 74 cases (80,.3%).
5) CSF findings revealed increased WBC coun t
(over SOO/mm"; 67.0%), increased protein level
(over 100mg/dl ; 64.89,,), and decreased sugar level
(below 40mg/dl ; 61. 5%).
7) Causative organism were isolated from CSF
culture of 37 cases(40.7%). The most common organism
was N. menigitidis 01 cases), and followed
by H. influenza (8 cases), Pneumococcus (7 cases),
S. aureus (3 cases), E. coli (:l cases), P. aeruginosa
o case), P. mirabilis 0 case), S. typi (1 case),
and Streptococcus 0 case).
8) On admission, 77 cases(84.7%) had a history of preexisting illness or associated disease and URI
was most frequent.
9) As the results of treatment, S4 cases (59.3%)
were improved or recovered, 9 cases (9.996) expired,
23 cases (25.3%) remained with sequelae, and 5
cases (5.5%) were discharged due to aggravation
of symptoms or poor economical problem.
10) The most common sequelae was hydrocephalus
02 cases), and followed by subdural effusion (6
cases), brain abscess (4 Cases), and ventriculitis(4
11) Among 20 cases having performed the cranial
C-T, hydrocephalus 02 cases) was most common.