S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Architecture and Architectural Engineering (건축학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_건축학과)
Unified Shear Strength Model for Reinforced Concrete Beams - Part I: Development
- Park, Hong-Gun; Choi, Kyoung-Kyu; Wight, James K.
- Issue Date
- American Concrete Institute (ACI)
- ACI Structural Journal, V. 104, No. 2, Mar-Apr. 2007, pp.142-152
- A theoretical model was developed to predict the shear strength of
reinforced concrete (RC) beams with and without shear
reinforcement. It was assumed that the shear strength of concrete
beams can be determined from the failure of the compression zone
of a beam cross section. The shear strength of the compression
zone was evaluated, considering the interaction between the shear
strength and normal stresses developed by the flexural moment.
The failure mechanism of the compression zone changes from a
tension failure to a compression failure as the shear span-to-depth
ratio (a/d) decreases. The transition of the failure mechanism was
properly addressed by considering the geometry of the beam and
using material failure criteria of concrete. Therefore, the proposed
strength model can describe the failure mechanisms of both slender
beams and deep beams with and without shear reinforcement.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.