S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Industrial Engineering (산업공학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_산업공학과)
A funding and governing model for achieving sustainable growth of computing e-infrastructures
- Mohammed, Ashraf A. Bany; Altmann, Joern
- SPRINGER FRANCE
- ANNALS OF TELECOMMUNICATIONS-ANNALES DES TELECOMMUNICATIONS; Vol.65 11-12; 739-756
- Grid and cloud economics; Analytical modeling; Computing services; Token-based market mechanism; High-performance computing; Grid computing; Sustainability; Case study analysis; Business models; Governance; Funding
- The current access policies and funding schemes of computing e-infrastructures represent a huge challenge for the sustainable growth of computing e-infrastructures and a serious jeopardy for investments made into these e-infrastructures. In order to be able to address these issues, the economics of computing e-infrastructures has to be understood thoroughly. As a first step in this direction, this paper conducts a set of computing e-infrastructure case studies and discusses the economic issues of different global computing e-infrastructure efforts. The analyses results show that the major shortcomings that need to be resolved are the insufficient involvement of the private sector in the development of computing e-infrastructures, the restricted user access to e-infrastructure resources, and the lack of sustainable funding. As a solution to these shortcomings, we propose a new funding and governing model for computing e-infrastructures. It follows a token-based market mechanism that allows a business-oriented operation of the computing e-infrastructure. We argue that this new model fosters the transition towards a sustainable computing e-infrastructure, being another requirement for successfully implementing the cloud computing vision. Our arguments are supported by an analytical analysis.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.