S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Industrial Engineering (산업공학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_산업공학과)
A Systematic Framework for Evaluating Design Concepts of a New Product
- Lee, Chai-Woo; Suh, Youngbo; Kim, In Ki; Park, Ji-Hyung; Yun, Myung Hwan
- JOHN WILEY & SONS INC
- HUMAN FACTORS AND ERGONOMICS IN MANUFACTURING & SERVICE INDUSTRIES; Vol.20 5; 424-442
- Conceptual design; Scenario of use; Concept evaluation; Technology trends analysis; Customer-perceived value
- This study aims to suggest a systematic framework to evaluate design concepts for a new product at the concept-development phase. It focuses especially on evaluating design concepts based on user requirements and implicit tasks, defining trends in technology alternatives, and relating users'''''''' perceived value to product functionality. The potential user needs and functional requirements were identified through scenario-based analysis and hierarchical task analysis. Technology alternatives were also investigated to support users in performing the required tasks effectively and efficiently. For a quantifiable evaluation measure, customer-perceived value (CPV) attributes were used to evaluate the benefits and costs of the current design concept as compared to perceived alternatives. A case study was conducted to evaluate the design concepts of a new computer-supported cooperative work (CSCW)-based system with a tangible user interface, which was designed to support group decision-making activities, such as business meetings. At the concept-development phase, engineering specifications are not determined, and cost cannot be precisely estimated. Thus, while we dealt with design-concept evaluation, we had no choice but to exclude cost attributes, such as monetary expenditure. It is still expected that our framework would be effective in incorporating user-centered design perspectives early in the process of new product development. (C) 2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.