S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Architecture and Architectural Engineering (건축학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_건축학과)
Numerical study on added resistance of ships by using a time-domain Rankine panel method
- Kim, Kyong-Hwan; Kim, Yonghwan
- Issue Date
- PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
- OCEAN ENGINEERING; Vol.38 13; 1357-1367
- Added resistance; Rankine panel method; Uncertainty in added resistance; Time-domain analysis
- This paper considers the numerical computation of added resistance on ships. As a method of solution, a higher-order Rankine panel method is applied in time domain. Furthermore, two different formulations, Neumann-Kelvin and double-body linearizations, are applied to investigate the difference between computational results. The quantities of added resistance are obtained by integrating the second-order pressure on the body surface. Computational results are validated by comparing with experimental data and other computational results on several models, and fair agreements are found for all the models. The components of added resistance are observed with regard to integral terms, radiation and diffraction components. This study continues to the computation of added resistance in irregular waves. This kind of computational approach can provide some important information to understand the uncertainty level of towing-tank measurement of added resistance. In this study, a series of long numerical simulations are carried out, and their statistical variations are observed for different time windows. Based on this observation, an appropriate criterion and averaging method are proposed for the prediction of added resistance in irregular waves. (C) 2011 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.