S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Architecture and Architectural Engineering (건축학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_건축학과)
Numerical Study on Difference-Frequency-Induced Parametric Roll Occurrence
- Kim, Taeyoung; Kim, Yonghwan
- Issue Date
- INT SOC OFFSHORE POLAR ENGINEERS
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF OFFSHORE AND POLAR ENGINEERING; Vol.21 2; 111-120
- Parametric roll; Rankine panel method; motion stability; impulse response function; difference-frequency effect
- This study considers the parametric roll phenomena of large container and cruise ships. In particular, a new mechanism of the occurrence of parametric roll is introduced in this paper. This new mechanism is due to the difference-frequency effects in the presence of bichromatic waves. To prove the present finding, theoretical, numerical and experimental methods are applied. In the numerical approach, nonlinear roll motion is simulated by using 2 different time-domain methods: the impulse-response-function method and the 3D Rankine panel method; in particular, a weakly nonlinear method including nonlinear Froude-Krylov and restoring forces is applied. These 2 methods provide favorable results for parametric roll occurrence. The unstable parametric roll is theoretically examined by introducing the quasi-periodic Mathieu equation. Unstable criteria are well predicted from stability analysis in the theoretical approach. The occurrence is also observed in the experiment carried out in an ocean basin.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.