S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Industrial Engineering (산업공학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_산업공학과)
ICT Co-evolution and Korean ICT strategy-An analysis based on patent data
- Lee, Sungjoo; Kim, Moon-Soo; Park, Yongtae
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCI LTD
- TELECOMMUNICATIONS POLICY; Vol.33 5-6; 253-271
- Information and communications technology; Korea; Lotka-Volterra; Technological interaction; Patent; Co-evolution
- This paper investigates the interactive nature of relationships between Information and Communications Technologies (ICTs) in terms of their technological innovations and diffusion. For the purpose, the United States Patent and Trademarks Office (USPTO) database was used and Lotka-Volterra equations were applied to the patent data, resulting in a Patent Interaction Network (PIN). This matrix was employed to investigate the interaction patterns among ICT-related industries, allowing co-evolution process across ICTs to be analyzed. This paper also examined patenting activities in the Korean ICT sector, which has announced the IT839 strategy to address ICT-related services, infrastructures and growth drivers. It is judged that the evolving pattern of Koran ICT has been compatible with the PIN, facilitating the development of each other. It is also expected that promoting broadband and home-network technologies, together with technologies on digital contents and software solutions, can lead to the growth of the whole ICT industry. Such research findings will provide numerous implications for policy-making and strategic planning for ICT development. (C) 2009 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.