S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Industrial Engineering (산업공학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_산업공학과)
Monitoring the organic structure of technology based on the patent development paths
- Choi, Changwoo; Park, Yongtae
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE INC
- TECHNOLOGICAL FORECASTING AND SOCIAL CHANGE; Vol.76 6; 754-768
- Technology monitoring; Technology development path; Patent citation network, Systematic approach
- As the strategic importance of understanding changes in technology for successful business of most firms increases, the ability to analyze and monitor the current stage and history of technology is reckoned as a critical asset both for gaining competitive advantage and identifying promising niches. Patent citation networks have been widely used for systematic and empirical analysis of technology development. Understanding of technology''''''''s detailed changes in large patent citation networks, however, is difficult to achieve because of these networks'''''''' large and complex structures. To overcome this problem, we suggest an algorithm that identifies patent development paths from a large patent citation network by evaluating the weight of citations between patents. We then apply this algorithm to flash memory patents in an empirical study. Our algorithm is a new methodology that can be used to analyze the dynamic and complex structure of individual technologies. (C) 2008 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.